Skip to main content

Social Media: The Newest Stage of Grieving

In this week's events, thousands of people have turned to social media to convey their outrage, sadness, and condolences. Students of Parkland live tweeted the horrific shooting attack they endured this Wednesday and the aftermath they face. As I scroll through my feed, I see hundreds of tweets from celebrities, victims, and others voicing their anger for the senseless and avoidable killings. In less than 300 characters, people are able to speak volumes. I think this use of social media is positive for everyone so that they may see the viewpoints of others and hopefully understand how much we need change. Most of all, I love that Twitter is giving a voice to teenagers, especially in this moment. Hardly anyone takes them seriously in life due to their age or lack of experience or immaturity. But they are our future and right now, they know more than anyone how bad things are and how much we need change. They will be the generation to reverse a lot of the damage that has been done. The first step is for them to form their opinions fully and voice them, which social media allows. I am so glad when I see younger people spreading logical, thoughtful posts that empower them and others. I think that in this moment, these teens are more right than anyone. That's a statement I would rarely say, but they've survived something most of us have never had to go through. By using social media as their outlet, people are able to decompress and deal with the events. These platforms let them connect with others and find people to help them understand and deal with the horrible tragedy. Most interestingly, I think that social media has become a new step in the grieving process. Almost everyone turns to social media when they are dealing with a difficult situation. There are many reasons why people do this. I feel that some use it as a way to call out to others for support and positivity. While others simply do it to "get it off their chest" and feel relief. I think that it is the newest way for people to allow themselves to handle anything that occurs. It seems to be related to the fact that we rarely have face-to-face conversations anymore and many of our friends are made and maintained over the internet. While this is so great for many, the use of social media to spread hate and threats is also a reality. After this particular shooting, dozens of threats were spread online. For this reason, the internet is truly good or bad depending on who is using it. While we experience so much bad, we have so much good to help us get through it. This week's events and past occurrences have demonstrated how powerful our social media can be and how significant it is in the process of grieving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Blog: Pinterest

Overall, I believe our project worked out well and incorporated the technology into our presentation. The site itself helped us due to its broad uses like sharing. We were able to cite our references directly to the site in which we found them by Pinterest's tool of embedding. In addition, we could pin examples to further justify our arguments and findings. It was easy for us to switch back and forth to complete our portions of the project as well with the easy surfing of the site. We had a little bit of trouble with including our SlideShare slides as the links didn't want to work. I feel as though the internet connection was a bit of a hindrance not necessarily Pinterest itself. I feel as though we could have maybe organized our Boards and Pins a little bit better as they were somewhat unorganized, but I feel it was not a major issue to our project. In addition, I think we could have done a better job of highlighting negative consequences. I feel like I may have not accurately...

Public Shaming is Shameful

The idea of publicly shaming your child online is truly puzzling to me. I don’t see how making the punishment public helps the child learn any valuable lesson at all. The fact that a parent would consider this a good punishment reveals significant issues within their own self. I feel that doing so signifies the trauma they probably endured as a child and how their parents may have treated them. I think the parents are not acting to better their child’s behavior but to humiliate and “prove” some point they feel necessary. I think they want praise and kudos for their hard and “thoughtful” punishment. What’s sad is that many parents jump on these posts and love the “creative” punishment these parents have come up with. It’s scary that this many individuals with children agree with such measures. But really it’s more than likely a reflection of their childhood, which they couldn’t control. However, they can control their parenting and should realize the damage public shaming could have on ...

The Internet's Good Side

We often talk about the internet as a good thing that can be used badly. The possibilities for good within the internet are abundant but they only gain attention rarely. More often we see the negative consequences of type happy trolls spread across the world wide web. But nowadays we have dozens of possibilities to do good in the world through the web. From GoFundMe to the Ice Bucket Challenge people are raising money and awareness. While some argue that it's not real altruism, I believe that it is helping the world in great ways. I think the internet provides a larger platform for people to connect and join together. I feel that it makes it easier for people to build a network and get their message out. The internet provides a place for just about anything to happen and it can reach way beyond the small confines of social groups. Websites like GoFundMe are crucial for organizations and individuals to reach out in times of need. However, like anything, this can have negat...