Skip to main content

Multitasking: The Task of Many Tasks

It's really true that we hardly ever do things one at a time. We rarely give our full attention to one single detail, job, or task. When we do things we have a lot of other things going on. The simplest tasks of the day, like walking, are almost always interrupted by little things like checking your phone or eating. Even more, we do our jobs or homework while doing dozens of others. It seems to boil down to the fact we just don't have the time. We are so consumed with life and all its responsibilities that we almost have to do things simultaneously. As we talked about in class this week, we love to do things all at once and no one is the exception. Even after all of the research that proves the hazardousness of multitasking, we do it anyway. People think that those who don't must have all the time in the world, myself included. After realizing how much I multitask, I decide to check myself and make sure that I was putting my all into everything I did. So for the last few days, I have been trying my hardest to not multitask. For this little experiment, I made sure to leave my phone in another room while I did homework. I ate dinner without TV and walked without my phone. I wanted to see what it was like to have zero, or close to zero, distractions in my daily life. It was difficult for the first day because I do almost everything with my phone near. After the last few days, I feel freer. I feel like my anxiety was lower about my school work and life in general. My homework and papers were finished quickly and honestly the best work I have probably done. I felt like I was being productive and doing really well. I was able to focus more clearly, despite the urges to check my phone. That part did make me sad. The fact that I felt true anxiety to not have my phone near. The takeaway for me was that focusing my mind makes me better in every way. I am able to feel calm while I write a paper or walk to class looking up at the beauty of campus. I feel like the little things mean more, as dramatic as it sounds. I think I will continue this as best as I can because I feel that my mind and body will thank me. I learned for myself that multitasking is "possible" but those tasks are completely poorly. I hope that others would try it as well and maybe learn something about themselves and their work too.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Blog: Pinterest

Overall, I believe our project worked out well and incorporated the technology into our presentation. The site itself helped us due to its broad uses like sharing. We were able to cite our references directly to the site in which we found them by Pinterest's tool of embedding. In addition, we could pin examples to further justify our arguments and findings. It was easy for us to switch back and forth to complete our portions of the project as well with the easy surfing of the site. We had a little bit of trouble with including our SlideShare slides as the links didn't want to work. I feel as though the internet connection was a bit of a hindrance not necessarily Pinterest itself. I feel as though we could have maybe organized our Boards and Pins a little bit better as they were somewhat unorganized, but I feel it was not a major issue to our project. In addition, I think we could have done a better job of highlighting negative consequences. I feel like I may have not accurately...

Public Shaming is Shameful

The idea of publicly shaming your child online is truly puzzling to me. I don’t see how making the punishment public helps the child learn any valuable lesson at all. The fact that a parent would consider this a good punishment reveals significant issues within their own self. I feel that doing so signifies the trauma they probably endured as a child and how their parents may have treated them. I think the parents are not acting to better their child’s behavior but to humiliate and “prove” some point they feel necessary. I think they want praise and kudos for their hard and “thoughtful” punishment. What’s sad is that many parents jump on these posts and love the “creative” punishment these parents have come up with. It’s scary that this many individuals with children agree with such measures. But really it’s more than likely a reflection of their childhood, which they couldn’t control. However, they can control their parenting and should realize the damage public shaming could have on ...

The Internet's Good Side

We often talk about the internet as a good thing that can be used badly. The possibilities for good within the internet are abundant but they only gain attention rarely. More often we see the negative consequences of type happy trolls spread across the world wide web. But nowadays we have dozens of possibilities to do good in the world through the web. From GoFundMe to the Ice Bucket Challenge people are raising money and awareness. While some argue that it's not real altruism, I believe that it is helping the world in great ways. I think the internet provides a larger platform for people to connect and join together. I feel that it makes it easier for people to build a network and get their message out. The internet provides a place for just about anything to happen and it can reach way beyond the small confines of social groups. Websites like GoFundMe are crucial for organizations and individuals to reach out in times of need. However, like anything, this can have negat...