Skip to main content

Fake News?

Never before has anyone stopped to explain exactly what IS fake news. You just see it on the news as a headline, during a press conference, or sadly, smeared all over President Trump’s twitter. There is a distinct difference between fake news and faulty journalism. Fake news is the complete fabrication of information to undermine people and convince them of untrue information. While bad journalism is the publication of information including wrongful information due to editing and proper fact checking. But somehow, the term Fake news is pinned on everything we disagree with or simply don’t like. It’s rather interesting and scary how this term has turned into a scapegoat. We use it to avoid questioning and pin blame on others. I am truly upset and angry that someone as powerful as the President can use such language and get away with it. I feel that the truth is people don’t understand that questioning our leaders is exactly what keeps them in check and gets our questions answered. Even people who disagree with something should still make sure their leaders are LEADERS and not leaving any questions unanswered. I feel that “Fake News” is our new “no.” It’s imperative that we understand the true definition of the term and stop using it simply whenever we feel like it. I’m watching all of the presentations in class, it’s apparent how many different ways organizations, websites, and even individuals use click bait and filter bubbles to suck us in. As a nation, we need to be able to filter through all of these challenging tactics used by people, not in our best interest. I am learning that it’s necessary to keep an open mind and listen to my opposing neighbors, in hopes that I will be able to critically analyze what I hear. Instead of shutting others out, we need to open up to them in order for them to do the same for us. In all this hate and opposition, we need to have the skills in order better understand each other. More importantly, we need to work together to prevent the Fake News media from overtaking us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Blog: Pinterest

Overall, I believe our project worked out well and incorporated the technology into our presentation. The site itself helped us due to its broad uses like sharing. We were able to cite our references directly to the site in which we found them by Pinterest's tool of embedding. In addition, we could pin examples to further justify our arguments and findings. It was easy for us to switch back and forth to complete our portions of the project as well with the easy surfing of the site. We had a little bit of trouble with including our SlideShare slides as the links didn't want to work. I feel as though the internet connection was a bit of a hindrance not necessarily Pinterest itself. I feel as though we could have maybe organized our Boards and Pins a little bit better as they were somewhat unorganized, but I feel it was not a major issue to our project. In addition, I think we could have done a better job of highlighting negative consequences. I feel like I may have not accurately...

Public Shaming is Shameful

The idea of publicly shaming your child online is truly puzzling to me. I don’t see how making the punishment public helps the child learn any valuable lesson at all. The fact that a parent would consider this a good punishment reveals significant issues within their own self. I feel that doing so signifies the trauma they probably endured as a child and how their parents may have treated them. I think the parents are not acting to better their child’s behavior but to humiliate and “prove” some point they feel necessary. I think they want praise and kudos for their hard and “thoughtful” punishment. What’s sad is that many parents jump on these posts and love the “creative” punishment these parents have come up with. It’s scary that this many individuals with children agree with such measures. But really it’s more than likely a reflection of their childhood, which they couldn’t control. However, they can control their parenting and should realize the damage public shaming could have on ...

The Internet's Good Side

We often talk about the internet as a good thing that can be used badly. The possibilities for good within the internet are abundant but they only gain attention rarely. More often we see the negative consequences of type happy trolls spread across the world wide web. But nowadays we have dozens of possibilities to do good in the world through the web. From GoFundMe to the Ice Bucket Challenge people are raising money and awareness. While some argue that it's not real altruism, I believe that it is helping the world in great ways. I think the internet provides a larger platform for people to connect and join together. I feel that it makes it easier for people to build a network and get their message out. The internet provides a place for just about anything to happen and it can reach way beyond the small confines of social groups. Websites like GoFundMe are crucial for organizations and individuals to reach out in times of need. However, like anything, this can have negat...