Skip to main content
After discussing some basic history and development of social media and technology this week, I realized I never noticed the evolution of the internet until I look back on it. I say this because I grew up and developed with it. I never lived without it as my parents and grandparents did. This gave me some feeling of guilt as I realize how dependent I've become on such technology. It does feel like another piece of me that I work so hard to create. I too, like others, spend a decent amount of time developing a web presence that I want. It's bizarre how this dependence works. I used to think of it as a way to avoid standing in lines alone or waiting for someone and looking like I have nothing to do. But I quickly realize after our discussion that it is a dependence. It is a dependence on something to do, something to pass the time, something to keep me in the "loop." But sadly, I feel like none of these are good reasons to be tangled up in the dozens of social media queues. We don't simply use one, we use multiple at a time. The funny thing is that we even create different personas for each. On Facebook, I am a student, family member, and hardly post that often. However, Twitter is another thing. I use it to speak my mind, connect with friends, and I hardly hide my opinions. I feel that this is common for most people my age. I believe differences exist among the social media apps but it depends on the person and their degree of involvement in each. But one thing is certain, we love and depend on these apps for one reason or another. For me, I am looking to connect, see what friends are doing, and keep in contact with distant family. I like to think I can function outside of these worlds even though I am part of several different ones. I am happy to say that my use of social media is quickly lowering as I am getting closer to the professional world. But I am scared of how different that world might be as I get older and younger people are making greater influences on our job market. I have a feeling that social media will grow even further and I am not sure if we all will be able to keep up. It seems contradicting that I fear it even though I use it, but I have a feeling a lot of us have that same perception.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Blog: Pinterest

Overall, I believe our project worked out well and incorporated the technology into our presentation. The site itself helped us due to its broad uses like sharing. We were able to cite our references directly to the site in which we found them by Pinterest's tool of embedding. In addition, we could pin examples to further justify our arguments and findings. It was easy for us to switch back and forth to complete our portions of the project as well with the easy surfing of the site. We had a little bit of trouble with including our SlideShare slides as the links didn't want to work. I feel as though the internet connection was a bit of a hindrance not necessarily Pinterest itself. I feel as though we could have maybe organized our Boards and Pins a little bit better as they were somewhat unorganized, but I feel it was not a major issue to our project. In addition, I think we could have done a better job of highlighting negative consequences. I feel like I may have not accurately...

Public Shaming is Shameful

The idea of publicly shaming your child online is truly puzzling to me. I don’t see how making the punishment public helps the child learn any valuable lesson at all. The fact that a parent would consider this a good punishment reveals significant issues within their own self. I feel that doing so signifies the trauma they probably endured as a child and how their parents may have treated them. I think the parents are not acting to better their child’s behavior but to humiliate and “prove” some point they feel necessary. I think they want praise and kudos for their hard and “thoughtful” punishment. What’s sad is that many parents jump on these posts and love the “creative” punishment these parents have come up with. It’s scary that this many individuals with children agree with such measures. But really it’s more than likely a reflection of their childhood, which they couldn’t control. However, they can control their parenting and should realize the damage public shaming could have on ...

The Internet's Good Side

We often talk about the internet as a good thing that can be used badly. The possibilities for good within the internet are abundant but they only gain attention rarely. More often we see the negative consequences of type happy trolls spread across the world wide web. But nowadays we have dozens of possibilities to do good in the world through the web. From GoFundMe to the Ice Bucket Challenge people are raising money and awareness. While some argue that it's not real altruism, I believe that it is helping the world in great ways. I think the internet provides a larger platform for people to connect and join together. I feel that it makes it easier for people to build a network and get their message out. The internet provides a place for just about anything to happen and it can reach way beyond the small confines of social groups. Websites like GoFundMe are crucial for organizations and individuals to reach out in times of need. However, like anything, this can have negat...